Monday, November 14, 2011

A Grand Speculation (More about Asphaulta)


   Design is purely a conceptual hypothesis. To say there is evidence for design is to show that you have put the pieces together in your pattern finding mind; putting a creator into the world a priori. Real science does not make grand assumptions. There is no evidence that stacks up to show that there has to be a god or a designer. Creation is an assumption based assertion.
  The reason that there are so many God/Creation concepts is that we try to find reasons for everything. I pray to Asphaulta when I  pull into a parking lot. A lot of the time I get spaces up front. I could attribute those spaces to a pleased Asphaulta, and attribute a poor space to my displeasing Asphaulta by, say... speeding. I could assert that Asphaulta is absolutely real. You wouldn't be able to dispute it because the circumstantial evidence adds up to her existence.
   The problem Asphaulta, and every other god concept, runs into is that it is an inference based on experience. If you break it down, a person who never prays to Asphaulta will get the same random parking spaces, some up front, some further back. There is no reason to say that Asphaulta actually exists beyond human inference. As disheartening of a realization this is for us believers in Asphaulta and other gods... it's unfortunately true.
  The odd thing about this is that, even after realizing the reality of the matter, there is a little part of me that actually believes that Asphaulta makes a difference when I do happen upon a space up front after praying to her. It shows a common trait in humans to attribute coincidence to a design, or a larger reason. We want god to exist.
   Many will undoubtably discredit this because of the absurdity of my parking lot goddess. I probably would too. Please realize though that the god I speak of is no different in conceptual structure than yours, or any others', god.

One more thing... To say that evolution doesn't rule out a designer is true. To go on and say that implies a definite, undoubted designer is a leap of speculation.
A Grand Speculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment